Sunday, November 13, 2011

It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas. It all started with a free non-work day {Veterans Day} ,  gingersnap cookies and a little creativity at C's godmother's house. We cut, painted and measured, and one giant mess later, have the cutest Candy Cane door hanger. We got so motivated that we went out on Saturday and made 6 more so we can give one to all of C and T's teachers this year for the holidays. Our little arts and crafts guru {C} was in hog heaven painting away. I have no doubt she is going to grow up to be one creative young lady.
Laura -- Here's my best attempt to explain how to make it {since you know I'm not a step by step directions person}
-Take burlap and sketch out a candy cane and cut out the shapes {you need two that are identical so I folded the burlap and then made the cut}. Notice I made a flat bottom -- I think that looks better than curved.
- Spray one side with a primer. Let dry for 10 minutes.
- Sew or glue three of the sides together.  If you sew use the a large straight stich.
- Paint red and white. I measured the stripes 5 inches apart, but did a little sliver at the bottom so there were more red and white stripes. You can either tape off and spray paint--or if you want a more casual look you can just paint with a paint brush. In this one I painted by hand.
- Let dry {about an hour}
- Then stuff with your white plastic bags {I used ones from target, publix}.  Sew {or glue} the last section together.
**If I could do it all over again, I would purchase RED burlap and then would only have to paint the white part. This would save a lot of time. 
Then add the wire metal for the hanger at the top and a bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment